What is Website Monitor in SpyStopper Pro?
Website Monitor automatically monitors thousands of known websites that deliver tracking, spying, or that are dangerous or phishing sites.
2. What is ActiveX Monitor in SpyStopper Pro?
ActiveX Monitor prevents the installation of more than 2,000 known ActiveX-based spyware, adware, dialers, browser hijackers, and other potentially unwanted programs.
3. What is a Web bug and Worms?
A web bug is an invisible graphic image on a Web page that is designed to monitor you without your knowledge. SpyStopper Pro will block those web bugs that may invade your privacy.
Worms are incoming packets of data that attempt to access your PC through your Internet connection maliciously. SpyStopper Pro blocks Code Red/II/Nimda and any other worm trying to gain access to your PC without your authorization.
4. What are cookies and scripts?
Cookies are small text files transferred to your computer from Web servers. Scripts are segments of code from other parties that may run without your permission. Cookies and scripts are commonly used for tracking and profiling consumers. SpyStopper Pro will block those cookies and scripts that may invade your privacy.
5. Will SpyStopper Pro block all advertisements, cookies, and scripts?
SpyStopper Pro is intelligent and only blocks those devices that are intrusive and may cause security and privacy concerns. Its blocking is selective.
6. Why does my anti-virus program think one of Spystopper Pro files, unclose.exe, contains virus?
This is a false alert. Uclose.exe is designed to close SpyStopper Pro window when you try to uninstall it. Just ignore the false alert.
You may want to contact the anti-virus developer to correct the error. Please send us the info so that we can contact the anti-virus developers directly and get the error corrected quickly.
7. How can I know SpyStopper Pro is working?
By default, SpyStopper Pro automatically starts with your windows. You can disable the
feature by unchecking
Start with Windows
When SpyStopper Pro is started, you will see an icon (X blue) in the system tray. When you put your mouse on it, the statistics counter will appear. You click on the icon and the main window will be displayed.
When SpyStopper Pro blocks intrusive web bugs, spyware, worms, cookies, scripts, and advertisements, the SpyStopper Pro icon in the system tray will be blinking. The counter will record the success of blocking those bad devices. It will display the statistics about the invasion sources blocked.
Also, you can do a testing on SpyStopper Pro and make sure it is working. To do the Test:
Click on Self Test
and you will see the testing result.
8. Can SpyStopper Pro work with Zone Alarm?
Yes. They complement each other. A lot of users use both to protect their Internet connections. SpyStopper Pro needs to set up a local host server to monitor your Internet connection and intercept bugs, spyware, worms, ads, and other intrusive devices. It is on your PC and does not send out any information. It is recommended that SpyStopper Pro be given server access.
9. How do I use SpyRemover with SpyStopper Pro?
SpyStopper Pro functions like a firewall. It blocks intrusive devices from coming to your system. It also blocks intrusive devices, which are already on your system, from sending out information. If you do not use SpyStopper Pro, the damage may have been already done when the spy devices are found. However, SpyStopper Pro does not physically remove those devices that are already on your system. Therefore, using both SpyStopper Pro and SpyRemover can maximize your protection. With SpyRemover, you can remove the devices that are already on your system. You can also remove spy programs such as some keyloggers that SpyStopper Pro does not block. We recommend you use SpyStopper Pro when you are online. Run SpyRemover periodically (once a day, once a week, or when needed) to clean up spy devices on your system.
10. My SpyStopper Pro stopped working and my counter stays at zero or still. What can I do?
It is likely that some files have been corrupted. You need to reinstall SpyStopper Pro. Try the following:
1. Uninstall SpyStopper Pro. Close down SpyStopper Pro first (click on Exit on the main window of SpyStopper Pro). Then run the SpyStopper Pro uninstaller (Do NOT use Control Panel to uninstall it).
2. Make sure the folder, c:\program files\SpyStopper Pro, has been removed.
3. Download the SpyStopper Pro trial version.
4. Install SpyStopper Pro.
5. Run your license file if necessary.
If the above does not solve your problem, try the following:
Close down SpyStopper Pro (Bring up the main window of SpyStopper Pro. Click on Exit) first.
If you are using Windows 98/Me, rename the file called hosts to hosts-back in the c:\windows directory. Restart SpyStopper Pro.
If you are using Windows 2000/XP, rename the file called hosts to hosts-back in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ directory. Restart SpyStopper Pro.
11.How can I display the main window and the popup menu?
To display the main window: click on the SpyStopper Pro icon in the system tray.
To display the popup menu: right click on the icon in the system tray.
12.Why SpyStopper Pro block a web page or Web site?
SpyRemover is very accurate and you do not need to exclude any spy devices from being detected. If you do, click on
. You will see a list of intrusive spy devices that will be detected by SpyRemover. Check the item you want to exclude from the searching process. If you check any items in the list, these items will not be detected by SpyRemover.
What if SpyStopper Pro is blocking a Web site I want to visit?
If SpyStopper Pro is blocking a site. It will display the blocking message and allows you to easily disable the blocking by clicking the blocked URL link.
If you you want to remove the blocking of a specific site permanently, follow these steps:
14. What does “Disable Messenger” do? Will it disable my Yahoo messenger, AOL messenger, or MSN messenger?
- ● Click the Protection tab.
- ● Click on Website Monitor and click on Find.
- ● Check the entry found. The status of the URL will change from Blocked to Allowed. Be sure to search all the records, there may be more than 1 instance of the website address. Once your sure you've searched the entire database for matches, click the OK button.
The “Disable Messenger” feature will turn off the messenger service used to send messenger service popup ads. It will stop messenger service popup Spam. It is not related to your Yahoo messenger, AOL messenger, or MSN messenger.
15. I have difficulties with accessing my PayPal and Travelocity accounts when SpyStopper Pro is running. What Can I do?
If you have problems with accessing your PayPal or Travelocity accounts, simply remove two URLs from the Blocked URLs List. For PayPal, remove images.paypal.com. For Travelocity, remove dps1.travelocity.com. For instructions on how to remove a URL from the list, check #13.
16. My Norton AntiVirus LiveUpdate cannot download a specific update when SpyStopper Pro is running. What can I do?
This issue has been resolved in the new version of SpyStopper Pro. The problem is caused by the fact that Norton LiveUpdate uses one of the Akamai servers to deliver the update and SpyStopper Pro does not like the third party taking in and out info. If you are having problem using the LiveUpdate, use one of the two solutions:
17. My AntiVirus program reports that the SpyStopper Pro log file, spylog.txt, is infected with CodeRed.C worm. Why?
- Turn off SpyStopper Pro when you need to use LiveUpdate. Turn it back on when the update is done. Or
- Remove the Akamai server delivering the update from the Blocked URLS List. There are many Akamai servers. You have to find out which server is sending info to you. Click here for more information. Click here for more information.
This is a false positive. SpyStopper Pro blocks the CodeRed worm and simply logs the actual worm data into the optional text log file. This file is not infected. The alert is false. Just ignore it. You may contact Norton or other companies and ask them to correct the false alert problem.
Also, you can delete the log file and uncheck Keep a Log File in SpyStopper Pro. This will also eliminate the problem. However, you will not have the log file to give you the information on the blocks.
18. I got warning message from my firewall that a remote system is attempting to access ssp.exe. Can you explain this behavior?
When spy servers try to contact their agents or devices on your system, SpyStopper Pro will intercept the requests, take over the attempts, block them, and lead the contact attempts to death. This is how SpyStopper Pro protects you. That is why your firewall thinks SpyStopper Pro is being contacted. To remove this false alert, allow SpyStopper Pro to access Internet in your firewall software.
19. My firewall says that sdbl.exe is attempting to access Internet. Why is it?
Many tracking devices are delivered through graphics and ads. If SpyStopper Pro simply blocks those intrusive graphics, some Web sites (such as news sites) don’t look good. Therefore, SpyStopper Pro loads those pictures through free public proxy servers. This way, your identity is protected and at the same time, the original appearance of the web pages is preserved. SpyStopper Pro proxy agent, sdbl.exe, handles loading the images through free public proxy server. If you don’t like using a public proxy server and using the agent, uncheck Use Safe Loading under Options in SpyStopper Pro. Restart SpyStopper Pro. Visit some sites and you will see the difference.
20. How do I add a Web site to the Website Monitor?
- ● Click on the Blocking Website Monitor under Protection.
- ● Click on the Add button. In the Add URL box, type the URL you want to block, for example, www.abcdefg.com, and click on Apply.
- ● Click on Ok.
Now the added site will be blocked.
If you want to remove a site from the User Defined Blocks, check the site and the status will change to Allowed.
21. How do I temporarily disable SpyStopper Pro while surfing the Web?
You need to exit SpyStopper Pro. Then restart it when needed.
22. I read news sites a lot and want to reduce the number of graphics blocked by SpyStopper Pro. What should I do?
- ● Display the popup menu by right-clicking on the SpyStopper Pro icon in the system tray
- ● Click on Exit.
By design, SpyStopper Pro blocks all potentially intrusive bugs, worms, scripts, cookies, and spyware. By default, SpyStopper Pro maximizes its ability of blocking all intrusive devices. A lot of tracking and profiling devices are delivered through graphics. If you want to reduce the number of graphics blocked, open the main window by clicking on the SpyStopper Pro icon. Uncheck Maximum Security under Options..
23. I got the error message "Run-time error 75. Path/File access error." What can I do?
If you are using Windows XP/2000, this problem is cased by the fact that you do not have the right to run SpyStopper Pro on XP/Win2000. Do the followings:
- ● Log on your PC with an administrator account or owner account.
- ● Start SpyStopper Pro.
- ● Check Compatibility mode and restart SpyStopper Pro.
You then log on your PC with your regular account. Start SpyStopper Pro. This problem should go away.
If you are using Windows 98/Me, do the following:
Rename the file called hosts to hosts-back in the c:\windows directory. Restart SpyStopper Pro. The error message should go away.
If you still have the problem, contact us.
24. What is "Compatibility mode"?
This option is designed for users who do not have either administrator or owner accounts on Windows2000/XP. SpyStopper Pro needs to access some system files. If you want other users to use SpyStopper Pro and they do not have the admin/owner account: install SpyStopper Pro; check Compatibility mode; and restart your PC. By checking "Compatibility", other users will be able to use SpyStopper Pro. If you are the only user and the owner of the PC, just leave it blank.
25. I receive the following error message: "A runtime error has occurred. Do you want to debug line 1. Error invalid character." What can I do to avoid this message?
It is related to your settings in IE. Go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced. Have
Disable script debugging
CHECKED and have
Display a notification about every script error
26. My port status becomes "Local server disabled - File logging off". What can I do?
SpyStopper Pro needs to access port 80, where your Internet traffic goes through. SpyStopper Pro monitors the traffic and intercepts intrusive devices. If the port is blocked by other programs, you may get this error message. To correct this:
First, uncheck Auto Start with Windows in SpyStopper Pro. Restart your PC. Manually Start your SpyStopper Pro and see if the problem goes away. If this does not work, make sure you give SpyStopper Pro access right to port 80 or give SpyStopper Pro server right in your firewall or security software. In addition, Microsoft IIS or FrontPage may also cause this problem if their server blocks the port.
27. Why does SpyStopper Pro sometimes need to access proxy servers?
Many tracking devices are delivered through graphics and ads. if SpyStopper Pro simply blocks those intrusive graphics, some Web sites (such as news sites) do not look good. Therefore, SpyStopper Pro loads those pictures through free public proxy servers. This way, your identity is protected and at the same time, the original appearance of the web pages is preserved. If you do not like using a public proxy server, uncheck Use Safe Loading in SpyStopper Pro. Restart SpyStopper Pro. Visit some sites and you will see the difference.
28. What is "Safe Loading"?
This option is designed for loading some graphics through free public proxy servers. This feature is to protect the original look of the web page design with filtering out intrusive devices. See #27 for more information.
29. How do I reset all counters?
To reset the counters:
- ● Start the popup menu by right-clicking on the SpyStopper Pro icon in the system tray.
- ● Choose Statistics and then Reset All Counters.
- ● Click on Yes to confirm and No to cancel. If you choose Yes, all the counters will be set to 0.
Another way to reset the counters:
30. What is a log file? Do I need to enable it?
- ● Show the main window of SpyStopper Pro.
- ● Click on Reset All Counters button.
- ● Click on Yes to confirm and No to cancel. If you choose Yes, all the counters will be set to 0.
SpyStopper Pro keeps a log file of what has happened. The contents of the log file are the actual HTTP headers that have been blocked by SpyStopper Pro. Log files are automatically reset when they reach 50K in size unless you choose otherwise. By default, log file is not enabled. In general, you do not need it. If you are an advanced user and want to know what is going on with SpyStopper Pro, you can enable it.
31. How can I turn on and off the sound?
By default, SpyStopper Pro does not produce sound and only makes the icon in the system tray blink. You can turn on and off the sound by displaying the popup menu and choosing
Options, Notifications, and Blinking System Tray
Sound a Beep
32. What is a replacement graphic? Do I need it?
Replacement graphics are used to replace some blocked graphics that contain potentially intrusive devices. By default, no replacement graphics are used. It worked for most users. If you want to pick up a replacement graphic, open the Popup menu and choose Options, Replacement Graphic, and pick up a graphic.
33. How can I uninstall SpyStopper Pro?
SpyStopper Pro has a built-in uninstaller. Terminate SpyStopper Pro (Bring up the main window of SpyStopper Pro and click on Exit) and make sure it is not running before you run the uninstaller.
To uninstall the program: Click on Start | Programs | SpyStopper Pro | Uninstall SpyStopper Pro
34. I could not uninstall it. What can I do?
This problem is caused by the fact that you did not close SpyStopper Pro before you uninstalled it. The best solution is that you download the SpyStopper Pro and reinstall it. You then uninstall it using the built-in uninstaller. Make sure you close the SpyStopper Pro before you run the Uninstaller.