FAQ & Help
1. System requirement
How to start Popup Free? How do I know Popup Free is started?
How can I test Popup Free?
How can I temporarily disable Popup Free and allow pop-up windows?
How do I use the white list and allow a specific popup window?
How do I know a pop-up window is blocked?
- How do I use the hot Keys?
- The smiling face icon disappeared from the system tray. How can I get it back?
When I start my IE, I do not see the smiling face icon in my system tray and Popup Free does not block pop-up windows. What can I do?
How do I uninstall Popup Free?
Problems with IE 5.00
How do I get technical Support?
Popup Free works with
Windows 7 and Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP/Vista
If your downloaded file is popupfree.exe
: double-click on it to start the installation. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation process.
If your downloaded file is Popupfree.zip
: unzip it. Save popupfree.msi. Double-click on the file, popupfree.msi, to start the installation. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation process.
3. How do I start Popup Free? How do I know Popup Free is started?
When you start IE, Popup Free will start automatically. You will see a small Popup Free icon (smiling face)
in the system tray.
If the icon in the system tray is smiling face, Popup Free is active and ready to block popup windows.
If the icon in the system tray is sad face, Popup Free is inactive and popup windows are allowed.
4. How can I test Popup Free?
To test Popup Free, click here.
5. How can I temporarily disable Popup Free and allow popup windows?
Double-click on the smiling face icon in the system tray or press to disable Popup Free. The smiling face will become a sad face.
Double-click on Popup Free icon again or press will re-enable Popup Free. The sad face icon will become a smiling face icon.
You can also use White List to allow some Web sites with popup windows.
6. How do I use the white list and allow specific pop-ups?
With the White List, you can allow some Web sites with popup windows. If a Web page link or a Web site is listed in the White List, its popup windows will NOT be blocked.
Add Web links from Blocked Popups:
Manually add Web links to the White List:
- ● Right click on the Popup Free icon and select “Blocked Popups”. The blocked popup links are listed in the Blocked Popups list.
- ● Select a popup link.
- ● Click on Add Link to White List (Click on Add Link to White List (http://www.abc.com/product/index.htm, for example) or Add Site to White List (http://www.abc.com, for example). If you choose Add Site to White List, the popup windows from the site (http://www.abc.com, for example) will be allowed.
- ● Right click on the Popup Free icon and select “White List”.
- ● Click on Add to add a Web site and click on Edit to edit a Web address. Make sure you specify the full name of the Web site. For example, use www.abc.com NOT “abc.com”.
Highlight a Web site and click on Delete to delete it from the list.
7. How do I know a pop-up window is blocked?
By default, when a popup window is blocked, Popup Free will beep and the icon in the system tray will flash.
To change the notification settings, right click on the Popup Free icon in the system tray and choose Notification.
8. How do I use the hot keys?
F8 -- System Tray Icon Hidden/Visible switch
F9 -- Sound On/Off switch
-- Popup Disable/Enable switch
CTRL key and click a link to instantly enable a Popup
9. The smiling face icon disappeared from the system tray. How can I get it back?
<F8> and see if it comes back.
10. When I start my IE, I do not see the smiling face icon in my system tray and Popup Free does not block pop-up windows. What can I do?
First, uninstall Popup Free and reinstall it. If the problem does not go away, you need to make sure the option "Enable third-party extensions" is selected in your IE settings. You can find this option under Tools -> Internet Options and under the Advanced tab. Make sure the option is checked.
You need to restart your IE after selecting this option.
11. How do I uninstall Popup Free?
Close your IE first. Go to Windows
Control Panel, then click
Add/Remove Programs, then select
Popup Free to remove.
12. Problem with IE 5.00
The Internet Explorer 5.00 has a bug which may prevent Popup Free from automatically running when IE starts. Microsoft corrected this bug in version 5.01. The latest version of IE is always available at Microsoft's website.
13. How do I get technical support?
Please contact us at